Another Fingerett

Anything I feel, think, see, hear, ... stories, pictures, ... and pretty much anything else I feel like putting up ... ***So these are fingers? I don't think I have ever seen them 'fing'... how do you know when they are 'finging' ...***

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have been told that I'm a "character" ... not sure if that is a good thing or not ... anything else you want to know- I guess you'll just have to check out my blog and find out for yourself...

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Rambling and Sharing

It has been a while... I've been caught up with things going on here at home and enjoying the blogs of others. I've been slowing down and it is showing here on my blog. Last week, when I went to check out Sebastian's blog, I came across his May 9th post, Blogger or Writer Or Both. And this, along with a few other things, made the light go off in my head telling me that I needed to get it together.
~*~
I've made plans to take an actual vacation [no overworking my self in any way] and relax in the city while playing the role of a tourist. That's always fun- of course my fast walk, transportation know-how and my knowledge of the best spots around might give me away. But who is paying attention to me anyway? The city is too big and exciting for people to sit and point out who came from where- unless you end up striking up a conversation or something.
~*~
I have to apologize... I've been saying "the city" over and over again not realizing that some of you may not know what I'm talking about. Well, for those of you who don't know, my home is in New York City. [So where did all the nice flower pictures come from? We have a house in Florida as well- now you know.] All of this reminded me of an email a friend sent to me a while back. Of course, not all of these apply to me... as much... any more... But here are some of the highlights:


You Know Your A New Yorker When...

You say "the city" -meaning Manhattan- and expect everyone to know what it means.
*
You order your Chinese food through bullet-proof glass.
*
When you get frustrated when people aren't walking fast enough.
*
When you understand this: "Jeet yet?" "No, jew?"
*
You reach middle age never having owned an automobile.
*
When you stand 2 lanes into traffic waiting to cross the street.
*
You can not only take a catnap on the subway while sitting, but can manage to fit one in and stay standing while hanging onto the bar- all without missing your stop.
*
When the "shortest time span known to man" is the time between the light turns green and the guy behind you honks his horn.
*
You're sure that the kids on the subway selling $1.00 M&M's for their "basketball team" are totally scamming you, but you think that paying $225,000 for a 400-sq.-ft. studio is a good deal.
*
You consider taking a cab because you don't want to lose your parking spot.
*
You're standing nose-to-nose with someone on the subway & yet you're not looking at each other.
*
You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multilingual.
*
The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.
*
You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.
*
You know what a bodega is.
*
Someone bumps into you, and you check for your wallet.
*
You visit friends out of town and you can't get to sleep because the quiet freaks you out.
*
Your internal clock and daily calendar are permanently set to know when Alternate Side of the Street parking regulations are suspended or in effect.
*
The deli guy gives you a straw with any beverage you buy, even if it is beer.
*
You understand that the plural form of you is youse.
*
Nothing is north or south, it's uptown or downtown.
*
You are in another city and stop by what appears to be a "deli" and ask for a 'hero' with the works. They look at you funny--you walk out angry...and hungry.
*
You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard.
*
You think Central Park is "nature."
*
You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since one of the blackouts.
*
Your closet is filled with black clothes.
*
You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.
*
You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.
*
You don't hear sirens anymore.
*
Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watch seller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.
*
You can read all of the above, and find yourself nodding with understanding and agreement (to most of them)...
~*~
::sighs:: I love my city ^_^
~*~
Wow. I got way off topic huh...


~K Fingerett~

13 Comments:

Blogger The Grunt said...

Wow, great post, very fun! It's nice to hear about NYC. I've only been in JFK, and that was an experience in itself.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, Sixteen candles was on this past weekend. I hadn't seen it in years! Great 80's movie...

Regards,
Jason

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:25:00 AM  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Great post!!! NYC is one of my favourite places on earth...in fact I got married on the Brooklyn Promenade. We will be visiting again in late September. I'm really looking forward to visiting the park and getting some more of Moby's tea!

Cheers!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

New York and Florida ?...best of both worlds ! I was visiting Washington and said I was driving (in)to Manhattan to my US colleagues...they thought I was mad. Managed to get in and out without hitting any other car (not bad for someone driving on the "wrong" side of the road)...dodging the roller bladers in the middle of the road was a challenge tho'. Great place.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger "K" Fingerett said...

Why JFK? Did you have to make *1 stop* on a plane trip? What happened while you were there? ... I'd like to know :) Please share, Grunt Man :P

It was on again? Aww... and I missed it :\ Ehh, it might still be running on one of those channels- thanks for stopping by Jason :)

Brooklyn Promenade huh? Nice. Be sure to take pictures and share when you do visit, Dave. I'd like to see/hear about your trip :D I think it would be pretty cool to hear about someone else’s take on the place!

Wow Jasp... you drove in and out of the city without crashing? Good job- you must have nerves of steel- either that or your used to the jumbled, sardine looking, loud, stressful-like streets :P Thanks for stopping by!


~K

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:54:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm glad you're back. I was wondering if you got trapped on the closed highway in Florida, closed due to the fires there. Now I learn you were nowhere near all that. That's good.

Though I'm an Arkansawyer I have been in NYC twice and both times I had great adventures, felt energized, ate well, saw as much as my eyes could take in. Great city. I'm glad to think of you there.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

I was on my way to England, "K". I was just swamped with so many different cultures at once. I only had really experienced two before: white and Mexican.

I had a lady chew me out for something--I don't know what--I guess I was just the nearest rube.

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:07:00 AM  
Blogger bronxbt said...

hey there! sorry i've been absent for so long from YOUR site. Hope you're doing well... I do still read yours almost daily, hungry for updates...

yer comment on mine was hilarious about the froggy.. he's cool but actually getting pretty damned LOUD at night.. giggle.

Wanted to also letchoo know that http://somethinsketchy.blogspot.com
has a few more updates too. I've not had time to post any photos there yet, but folks have been urging me via mail for more "Reflections" postings and the new "You're in College Now" strips...

working on it!

YOU have an awesome weekend, keep snapping away, and enjoy your self-imposed time off!

hugs,

bronxbt

Friday, May 19, 2006 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Alchemist said...

NyC is a place i have put on my preverbial list of places to go - your so lucky - and a house in florida too - no wonder u aint been on your computer - way to live it up Fingerette!

AD

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I've never been to New York, but I think I learned a lot about it from watching Seinfeld. Based on your list, it sounds like the sitcom was pretty accurate.

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger "K" Fingerett said...

Aww Annie... you though about me?! ::feels special:: I'm glad you enjoyed your trips to the city :D

That is why I love the city, Grunt. Because of all the different cultures. Being exposed to all of them is great- so much to learn :) Why didn't you understand what the lady was saying? Different language? Or just speaking too fast? :P

I don't think so, Thomas. No written law that I know of ;D

I'm sorry I don't post often, B. I try, but sometimes there is just so much to do around here... Other times it’s just that I don't have anything to offer you all- well nothing you'd care to hear about... so I wait until I do. I'll be sure to check out that site once I'm done here- can't wait to see what you have! Thanks for the hugs ^_^

AD, I think you'd have a blast here. There is SO much to see- I'm sure you'd love it :D And your right, like I said to B- there is so much to do. So again, I apologize for not posting as often as I probably could.

Hehe ^_^ Seinfeld- funny stuff. Timmy, you should come see NY for yourself. The city is the best place to hang out- always something to see, hear, smell... it’s a great experience. Even though I live here, I still get excited when I head into the heart of the city.

Thanks for the comments everyone- they always make me happy ^_^


~K

Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

Speaking too fast and a thick New York accent. You have to keep in mind, I was pretty much a bad version of Opie growing up.

I think she was pissed because I passed her by. Really! As soon as I opened my mouth to apologize she said, "Oh, well it figures!"

I think that I'd like NYC now.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Mc said...

Wow, these are hilarious! And so true!
Thanks,
-BrianMc

Monday, May 22, 2006 12:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home