Another Fingerett

Anything I feel, think, see, hear, ... stories, pictures, ... and pretty much anything else I feel like putting up ... ***So these are fingers? I don't think I have ever seen them 'fing'... how do you know when they are 'finging' ...***

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I have been told that I'm a "character" ... not sure if that is a good thing or not ... anything else you want to know- I guess you'll just have to check out my blog and find out for yourself...

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Enjoy!

April is National Poetry Month- and I haven't posted one decent poem all month :
Well, I finally decided on a poem to post for Poetry Month, and not a moment too late... So here it is:


How To Help
by Annie


The first time I went there,
the social worker said,
the house was a mess
I approached it with dread

Tree limbs on the lawn
The grass was in patches
The screen door was hanging
From only two latches.

I knocked once, then twice
But nobody came
A voice whined, "Who is it?"
I called out my name.

I've come from the county
To talk with you today
Your neighbors are worried
They asked me to say

That they care how you're doing.
Can we talk for awhile?
Well, I guess so, she said.
I offered a smile

But she didn't return it.
She hobbled to her chair
So I followed her, asking
To sit with her there.

What do you want here?
She asked testily.
I can manage quite well
Though I don't hear or see

Quite as well as I once did.
Well, out with it now.
What's the county got to do
With telling me how

I should live my life.
I know why you've come.
You think I'd do better
Shut up in a Home.

Stacked items and clutter
Where in view everywhere
Except for the neat spot
Surrounding her chair.

I leaned over toward her
And reached for her hand.
I'm interested in learning
And want to understand

If the county can help
with your home and your yard.
Living alone isn't easy,
Sometimes it's quite hard

To get everything done.
It's especially tough
When seeing and hearing
Aren't quite good enough.

If you have a few minutes
To talk with me now
I'll give you some ideas,
Information about how

The county could help you.
Go ahead, she said slowly,
It won't hurt to know
About what you can tell me.

I could use some help
With my house and my yard.
I've worried about it but
It has been quite hard

To find someone to come
Pick up branches and mow
It's a problem in summer
And in winter there's snow.

Yes, your yard needs some clean up.
We could rehang your door.
There's a work crew to do that,
I said. Is there more

That you need to have done,
Either once or more often?
You're kind, dear, she said,
You have sure worked to soften

The anger and fear I felt
When you came here today.
You respect me. I like that
I don't know what to say

Except thank you, and tell me
Will you stay for a while?
We could talk and have coffee.
And she gave me a smile.


~K Fingerett~

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

What a surprise to come here and find this poem.

K, you're a sweetie.

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger "K" Fingerett said...

I told you I liked it ^_^


~K

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Nice!

Monday, May 01, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Chief Scientist said...

Oooh! Ooooh! I did a poem too! It's here.

Friday, May 05, 2006 12:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home